Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Staying at Home is not Dangerous

I was released from the hospital the following day - feeling much better, but looking back on it now, far worse than I thought I felt. I was sent home with some pretty good painkillers, but I tried my best not to take them (I think I took a total of 2).

Fortunately, I had recently started a new job which afforded me some sick time (I was previously consulting for Syrinx Consulting which would have meant no $ for me while I was laying in bed). After 3 days of lying around watching TV, I was dying to get back to work.

I still looked pretty horrific (although, according to some friends, it was an improvement), so when I told my boss I would be coming in to pick up some stuff so I could work from home, he graciously offered to swing by and drop it off for me.

I spent the week at home, healing as fast as possible. By Monday of the following week, I was healthy enough to go into the office, at least part time. It was also around that time that I started thinking about the cost of the accident and how the insurance company would handle the bills. I had (and still have) Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts coverage for both medical and dental. In addition, I had race coverage provided by the USA Cycling. I was well covered, so surely I would only have to worry about getting better, not the cash for treatment.

Boy, was I wrong...

No comments: